The United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA) and the African Innovation Foundation (AIF) are delighted to announce the call for applications for the 2013 Innovation Prize for Africa (IPA). Too often, innovators and entrepreneurs are not highly profiled on the African development agenda. It is IPA’s mission to elevate attention around innovative work and help support the vision of entrepreneurs. The prize honours and encourages innovative achievements that contribute towards the development of new products, increased efficiency or cost savings in Africa. The prize also promotes the efforts of young African men and women pursuing science, technology and engineering careers as well as business opportunities that aim to contribute to sustainable development in Africa.
The goals of the 2013 Prize are to:
- Mobilize leaders from all sectors to fuel African innovation
- Promote innovation across Africa in key sectors of interest through the competition
- Promote science, technology and engineering as rewarding, exciting and noble career options among the youth in Africa by profiling success applicants
- Encourage entrepreneurs, innovators, funding bodies and business development service providers to exchange ideas and explore innovative business opportunities.
IPA anticipates contributing to the following outcomes:
- Increased commercialization of research and development (R&D) outputs in Africa
- Increased funding of start-ups, adoption of new and emerging technologies and accelerated growth of an innovative and dynamic private sector; and
- Increased economic activity and African led development that results in lasting impact.
Please contact the organizers with any questions about the 2013 Prizeapplication.